Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
There comes a time when your current mattress needs replacing. Perhaps it looks a little discoloured, or it isn’t comfortable anymore. Alternatively, you may need a different type for a new bed. Whatever the reason, choosing a suitable product is tricky. You need one that fits perfectly and gives you a good night’s sleep. To help, we have picked seven of the best mattresses for your consideration below.
How We Compared Mattresses
To find the right mattresses, we considered multiple factors, including:
Our team planned comparison points and specifically looked for products that would cater to all kinds of needs. We spent countless hours researching, consulting customer reviews and comparing features to come up with this list.
The brilliant hybrid design of this mattress makes it suitable for all types of sleepers. Whether you rest on your side, back, or front, the combination of memory foam layers and traditional springs should give the support needed.
The Sweetnight Double mattress has a bottom layer of individually wrapped springs. These move independently and thus give good movement isolation. Additionally, it has several layers of adaptable memory foam to help relieve body pressure.
Its top layer is made from breathable and soft knitted fabric, making the mattress cosy. You should also be able to enjoy an untroubled sleep due to its skin-friendly material top cover. Lastly, it is available in several sizes, including 8 inches, 9 inches, 10 inches, and 12 inches.
- Hybrid design with springs and gel memory foam
- The springs move independently to prevent motion transfer
- The top sheet is made from breathable fabric
- It can help reduce muscle and spinal pressure
- Body weight should be evenly distributed
- You could get a little warm with this mattress
- There may not be any side straps to move it
This model is a good pick if you want an adaptable mattress that will allow for the best possible sleep. This is due to the multi-layer design that contains different types of foam to provide breathability, airflow, and comfort.
The EMMA Original King mattress is an all-foam design without any springs. Therefore, it is a great product for those who need the best support and comfort during sleep. It can easily adapt to any body type and form of sleeper, whether you rest on your back, side, or front.
It has four different layers of contouring foam. The bottom layer is a durable HRX cold foam which provides the mattress foundation. Next, it has a viscoelastic memory foam and ultra-breathable airgocell memory foam. Both layers increase adaptability and body support. Lastly, the top layer helps regulate temperature to keep you well ventilated while you sleep.
- Multi-layer design for maximum body adaptability
- Made from premium quality memory foam and fabric
- Perfect for any type of sleeper
- Includes an ultra-breathable foam layer
- The top cover is removable and washable
- There could be an initial strange smell
- It may not expand as quickly as advertised
This mattress is a good option if you want the softness of traditional springs combined with the support and body-moulding technology of memory foam. It gives the best of both worlds and is suitable for all body types.
Compared to other products, the Linenspa 20cm hybrid mattress has a relatively simple design. The bottom layer is made from tempered steel coil springs, which give it a medium-firm softness. On top of this, a memory foam layer with gel-infusion technology helps the item contour to suit your body.
Lastly, the top layer is produced from quilted foam, which gives it a plush and cosy feel. We also like that this model has edge support and a tapered seam on the sides, reducing the possibility of you rolling off during the night.
- It combines memory foam and traditional springs
- The gel-infused memory foam hugs your body shape
- The top cover is cosy and made from knitted fabric
- This mattress has a medium-firm design
- It also has edge support to help prevent falling off
- It may not have any side handles for lifting
- Some lumps may remain when unrolled
This mattress could be a good option if you have sensitive skin or conditions due to its hypoallergenic protection and anti-mite top cover. This makes sure that your skin will remain dry and free from irritation as you sleep.
The Inofia double memory foam sprung mattress has a hybrid design and features advanced technologies to give you great comfort. The individually-wrapped springs are placed between multiple layers of memory foam and thus give the mattress a medium-firm feel. Also, the memory foam has a wave pattern that helps relieve pressure on your muscles and joints.
- Hypoallergenic top layer with anti-mite protection
- The top layer also has a mesh side for better breathability
- Wave memory foam helps relieve body pressure
- The individual springs provide motion isolation
- Durable design that is built to last
- The mattresses surface may get warm during the night
- It may be quite heavy for lifting
If you struggle with back problems, this could be a superior mattress. This is due to its hybrid design and 7-zone support that gives fantastic relief where you need it, including your spine.
The HomyLink double mattress has an advanced spring system where each individual spring can move independently, meaning that it offers personalised support and will distribute your weight evenly. Above and below, a range of memory foam layers conform to your curves and help give pressure relief directly where you need it.
This special convoluted wave foam has great shock-absorption properties and high resilience. It promotes excellent blood circulation and also helps relax muscles, so you don’t wake up feeling stiff.
- Includes high-quality carbon steel springs
- Each spring moves independently for better support
- Gives adjustable comfort for different body parts
- It has an ergonomic design to help release pressure
- The breathable materials help release moisture
- The top layer may not be thick enough
- The described size may not be accurate
This is a brilliant option if you prefer a soft mattress that you can sink into. It has a pocket spring design with hybrid memory foam that feels fantastic and envelopes you for a trouble-free sleep.
The Summerby Sleep No3 hybrid mattress has a relatively basic design with a single spring layer and one memory foam layer. Its nested pocket springs are individually wrapped for noise cancellation and give excellent movement control. Above these, a memory foam layer moulds to your body shape. Lastly, it has a soft and breathable fabric cover.
The knitted and soft fabric cover adds comfort and cosiness to the mattress as well as reduces irritation to your skin.
- Hybrid design with springs and memory foam
- Available in four sizes – double, single, small double, or king
- The memory foam should contour to suit your body
- The top cover is knitted and extremely comfortable
- The foam layer should also help align your spine
- It may not have the best side support
- This model could move out of position easily
If you sweat a lot during your sleep, this mattress could be the best pick due to its airflow control and breathability. It ensures that your temperature is regulated and that any excess moisture is quickly dissipated.
The Vesgantti King has a lavender stretch knit cover with a woven polyester mesh backing. It is also delivered vacuum packed and unfolds quickly when the packaging is opened.
Aside from the temperature control, the mattress also has a multi-layer design, including pocket springs and memory foam. These traits give it a medium-firm feel and allow it to mould to your body shape, making it suitable for any type of sleeper. We also like that it has good side support and should be comfortable regardless of where you sleep in your bed.
- It has a lavender stretch knitted top cover
- Includes CertiPUR-US certified foam
- It also has a hybrid design with both memory foam and springs
- Provides optimal support without being too firm
- Suitable for all types of sleepers
- You may notice some lumps and misshaping
- The unboxing instructions may not be clear
How to Choose a Mattress
You should now have a clear idea of the different mattresses available, but which one is suitable for you? To help with your decision, we have listed the four main considerations to look at when buying a mattress.
The number one factor is the size of the mattress. You cannot afford to get this wrong. Otherwise, you will have a product that doesn’t fit your bed properly.
The first thing you should do is to measure your bed and the space the mattress slots into. To make this easier, you hopefully already know what type it is, i.e. single, double, king, or queen. However, taking the exact measurements is also beneficial as there can be differences in sizes for the UK and European products. With the exact size in mind, you can select a model that fits perfectly.
Next, we advise looking at the type of mattress you want. There are specific designs, including memory foam, spring, and hybrid. Each one will offer varying comfort, firmness, and durability.
Memory foam products are typically the firmest, but they mould to your body shape and can be excellent for lumbar support. In contrast, spring mattresses are usually much softer. You can sink into them, but they may not offer as much backing. Lastly, hybrid options typically contain a mix of springs and foam and give a balanced combination of softness and support.
With the type of mattress in mind, you should also look at comfort. This ties in directly with how you sleep, your body, and if you have any health issues.
For example, if you suffer from regular aches and pains, or back problems, a memory foam mattress could be a good option as it offers maximum support for your joints and muscles. Alternatively, firmness may not be as important if you are a heavier sleeper. In this case, a traditional spring option could work.
Lastly, how easy is the mattress to clean and care for? Do you need to use a topper with it? How quickly does a top sheet fit over the model? Can it be sent to a professional cleaner to be washed? These are important questions and will dictate how long the mattress potentially lasts and what it can withstand.
Our top pick is the Sweetnight Double Mattress due to its advanced hybrid construction, excellent support, and healthy materials. This mattress will give you a wonderful night’s sleep with its combination of gel memory foam and individually wrapped springs. The coils move independently and should prevent motion transfer if you move during sleep. Also, the top cover is breathable and made without harmful substances, ensuring a fresher, healthier bedtime.
Paul is the type of person who never met a problem he couldn’t fix. He can always be found tinkering with something in his house, even if it isn’t broken! His tips and tricks are often shared on our site. He’s the one you call when something breaks because he has been known to improvise fixes for everything from leaky faucets to malfunctioning dryers.