Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Hoovers are fantastic appliances for removing things like dirt, hairs, and food debris from carpets, but they are not effective at tackling actual stains. For example, taking care of a patch from a spilt drink may get complicated. This is where carpet cleaners pay dividends, as they allow you to eliminate spillages on your floors and keep your homes looking fresh. If this is something you could benefit from, we have hand-picked seven of the best options below.
How We Compared Carpet Cleaners
To find the right carpet cleaners, we considered multiple factors, including:
- Product Type
- Ease of Use
Our team planned comparison points and specifically looked for products that would cater to all kinds of needs. We spent countless hours researching, consulting customer reviews and comparing features to come up with this list.
Carpet Cleaner Reviews
If you want a versatile carpet cleaner to eradicate spot stains, this is a top pick. The powerful suction, effective brush head, and large tanks mean you can quickly remove mess and spills from carpets, furniture, cars, and stairs.
The BISSELL SpotClean Pro is our Editor’s Choice and offers excellent mobility due to the top handle and lightweight design. You can quickly lift and move it around your home and also place it on stairs due to the minimal footprint of the unit.
We also like that it has separate tanks for clean and dirty water. As a result, you get better cleaning quality as only a fresh solution is being sprayed onto the surfaces instead of recycled dirty water.
- It uses a combo of water, formula, and suction
- This product can easily reach difficult spots
- It has two separate tanks for clean and dirty water
- The device comes with two different head attachments
- It also includes a sample bottle of Wash and Protect Professional
- It may not be suitable for cleaning large areas
The hose might not be the longest
This is a solid option if you have pets and children and are continually tackling carpet stains. The powerful suction and ergonomic brush head design perform impeccably and remove those tough stains.
The BISSELL ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Pro has an upright design with a large cleaning head. The big rear wheels and comfortable handle enable you to easily push it around and cover whole floors in no time. This is aided by a large water tank and effective solution spray.
We like that it has two cleaning modes. The deep setting is ideal for occasionally giving your floors a blast. In contrast, the express function is intended for regular use and keeping your carpets fresh. The Heatwave Technology also provides a steady cleaning temperature to get an even finish on your surfaces.
- It has an adequate hose length of 2.1m for improved mobility
- After use, carpets should dry in approximately 30 minutes
- The unit includes two cleaning modes – deep and express
- Uses Heatwave Technology to provide consistent temperature
- The large head is great for cleaning entire floors
- It could be a little tricky to maintain and clean
- The noise could be loud for pets and children
It is a fantastic option if you want a versatile unit that can tackle carpets, rugs, and hard floors. The large cleaning head covers a wide area with minimum effort, and the powerful brush and spray mean stains will be lifted from any surface.
The VYTRONIX P800CW Upright Carpet Cleaner benefits from a lightweight design. It has a variable-angle chassis and large rear wheels that allow you to push and turn it quickly on your floors. We also like the durable 3L tanks that allow you to minimise refilling and emptying during use. In addition, the twin compartment system keeps clean and dirty water separate for more effective application.
It can also tackle tough stains or simply be used to freshen up your floors. This is due to the static brush bar with five sets of bristles.
- It has a powerful 800W motor
- Effective brush bar with five rows of bristles
- It has a relatively lightweight design at 5.6kg
- The simple design is easy to understand and use
- The water tank has a capacity of three litres
- It could be a little difficult to use on stairs
- The unit may not include any head attachments
If you want a durable unit for regularly cleaning entire floors, this is a brilliant option. The wide brush head and generous water tank allow you to use it continuously to cover whole carpets in no time at all.
The Vax 1-1-142257 Platinum Smartwash Carpet Cleaner is suitable for surfaces that regularly get dirty and must be kept sanitary. It effectively removes 99% of bacteria trapped in the fibres.
Its Motion Sense technology only releases the cleaning solution when you push the device forward. This means that your water and agents last longer. The CarpetGuard Protection also helps to prevent stains.
- It should remove 99% of bacteria in carpets
- The Motion Sense Technology only releases cleaner when pushing forward
- Includes Carpetguard Protection
- Large, upright design for tackling entire carpets
- Big water tank for effective usage
- It could be a little heavy to push
- The model may not be great for cleaning stairs
This carpet cleaner is the perfect option if you require a smaller unit for simple spot removal. It has a long, flexible hose and detachable head so you can reach into difficult areas. It also has an extendable handle and wheels so that it can easily be pulled and carried around the home.
The Rug Doctor 93306 is versatile for many different situations. For example, it is IPX4 splashproof, making it suitable for outdoor use and tackling car interiors. Alternatively, the powerful brush is perfect for cleaning carpet stains, stairs, and furniture.
The dual tanks also separate the clean and dirty water for a quicker process. For usage, simply fill the container with your solution. It will automatically pass through the hose when the appliance is switched on.
- Easy-to-carry and compact design
- The motor provides twice the suction power compared to standard units
- The wheels and retractable handle make it simple to move
- Detachable cleaning head for small spaces
- The design makes it easy to place on stairs
- It may not be suitable for cleaning whole carpets
- The tanks may not be the easiest to refill
If you want to regularly maintain entire carpets instead of single spot removal, this is a solid choice. The large cleaning head and upright design allow you to easily push across the whole room. Combine this with the powerful suction and water spray, and you have an effective device.
The Rug Doctor 1093170 also has an incredibly useful brush set. The bristles are cross-action and designed to keep all sides of the carpet fibres fresh. This is aided by the large tanks that are quick to empty and refill with your preferred solution.
And for spot treatment, there is a detachable handtool. This has a decent length hose, so you can use it for things like cars, stairs, and furniture.
- It has a Superboost spray function for powerful cleaning
- The head has cross-action brushes
- The tanks are easy to empty and clean
- There is also a detachable hand tool for smaller spaces
- Great for large carpeted areas due to the upright design
- The manual may be a little sparse
- Some of the fittings could occasionally leak
If you want a model that is easy to lift and use on stairs, look no further. The slimline design and large carrying handle mean that you can easily pick it up and place it on stairs as you clean. This is aided by the long hose that allows you to reach multiple areas before moving the unit again.
The Vax SpotWash Spot Cleaner is also versatile as it includes two different cleaning attachments. One is specifically for soft carpets, while the other is for hard surfaces like laminate and tiles. You also get a handy 250ml bottle of solution to start work immediately.
The actual cleaning power and effectiveness are also great due to the high-volume suction. You can easily lift tough stains and spills in no time.
- It has a long 1.5m hose to reach in difficult places
- Includes a 250ml Spot Wash cleaning solution
- The unit has two different cleaning attachments
- The slim design means it can rest on steps easily
- You can flush the hose after use to keep it clear
- The spot design may not be suitable for entire carpets
- Some water could leak from the base
How to Choose a Carpet Cleaner
The style and design of carpet cleaners vary greatly, so you may be confused as to which one fits your needs. We have listed four main considerations that should help you pick a suitable product.
There are two main types of carpet cleaner:
- Spot cleaning
- Entire floor washing
The first model has a much smaller head and, thus, is only suitable for erasing individual stains on your carpets. Alternatively, the second appliance has a large head similar to a vacuum. These can be used to clean entire floors. As a result, you must consider which version you want as they have completely different functions.
The dimensions and weight of the appliance are also incredibly important. Some units are upright and are much bulkier and heavier. If you have a small house, you may struggle to store one together with a vacuum. Also, an upright model could be more difficult to move if you suffer from chronic pain.
Alternatively, some smaller units are much easier to manoeuvre and store. The downside is that often they do not have as much cleaning power.
Ease of Use
How easy the carpet cleaner is to use should also be a factor. No one wants to waste time simply trying to get the appliance to work.
Nuances of these devices include the length of the power cord, adding cleaning solution, and the manoeuvrability of the head. Look at each aspect and think if it looks simple to figure out and operate.
Carpet cleaners typically require more maintenance than vacuums due to the liquid compartment for the solution. These containers often need removing and rinsing to prevent a build-up of grime.
How easy is the tank to dismantle? Are there parts where dirt could collect and cause health and safety issues? What about the cleaning head? Does this need to be regularly brushed to prevent grime from clogging up the intake area?
Our top pick is the BISSELL SpotClean Pro due to its ergonomic design, versatile features, and effective cleaning mechanism. The unit is easy to use because of its smaller size and top handle for carrying. This is complemented by the flexible hose and manoeuvrable head. Moreover, the combination of water, suction, and formula means it spot-cleans impressively, also thanks to the large tank that is simple to remove and refill.
Paul is the type of person who never met a problem he couldn’t fix. He can always be found tinkering with something in his house, even if it isn’t broken! His tips and tricks are often shared on our site. He’s the one you call when something breaks because he has been known to improvise fixes for everything from leaky faucets to malfunctioning dryers.